Wednesday, May 6, 2015

3 Nephi 12: Part 2

Last night we were having a family discussion on how to treat others that are unkind to you. My daughter had a soccer game, and there were several players on the other team who would purposefully push and shove our team, but then turn around and offer a hand of help to get up, or even a handshake. My daughter felt as if the hand offered was simply a tool to look better than what was actually happening--perhaps, a tool to look innocent in the eyes of the referee. The offered hand seemed quite insincere when the girls from our team were repeatedly shoved or pushed. At one point in time a player on our team was hit in the face, by the ball. The hit left our player dazed and unable to walk without support. My daughter heard a member from the other team laughing. This laughter caused my daughter to feel extreme anger and frustration towards this team. After a while of this behavior, the girls from our team no longer wanted to accept the offered hand of help. Instead, they simply wanted to ignore the attempt at kindness. Therefore, our family discussion revolved around whether or not it was appropriate to ignore the gesture? What did it mean to walk the high road? What would the Savior do?

In my scripture study today, I read: "But behold, I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you" (3 Nephi 12: 44). The point: whether it was the purpose of the other team to seem sincere with other motives on their agenda or not--it's not ours to judge. Frustrations are going to happen on a daily basis, but in order for us to follow the Lord's admonitions, we must be the better person. We must be kind to those who are unkind. I don't think this means that we allow others to hurt us, or to ridicule us. I think we can stand up for ourselves as well; however, I do believe that we must choose to be better than replicating their behavior with our frustrations. I believe we must rise above it, and be the "better person" by our actions.

When I was in middle school, I remember asking my dad on numerous occasions how to work through different social circumstances. Quite often he would respond, "Walk the high road". I heard this sentiment so many times as a youth that now as an adult, I quite often think about "walking the high road". He taught me to be better than succumbing to the ill will around me. He taught me to look beyond the here and now, and to become something more. He taught me to rise above my circumstances.

Quite often when my daughter is playing soccer, I often feel her team plays to the level of the opposing team. Some teams are extremely difficult. When we play these teams, we are solid and a definite force. Some teams are not as difficult; however, quite often when we play these less difficult teams, we are sloppy and imprecise.  And so it is with life, do we allow ourselves to succumb to the level of other people who may or may not have our standards, or do we rise above the negative attitudes of others and "walk the high road".

No comments:

Post a Comment