Friday, September 29, 2017

Alma 24

Praising God Through Trials

In this part of the Book of Mormon, the people of Ammon--or the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's--were facing the Lamanite armies. Because these people had been washed clean through repentance they refused to defend themselves. The scriptures state, "...when these Lamanites were brought to believe and to know the truth, they were firm, and would suffer even unto death rather than commit sin; and thus we see that they buried their weapons of peace, or they buried the weapons of war, for peace" (vs.19). They placed God as their top priority--even if doing so meant that they would die. And that is exactly what they did. As the angry Lamanites came into the borders of their lands, these Anti-Nephi-Lehies went to meet them, and "prostrated themselves before them to the earth, and began to call on the name of the Lord; and thus they were in this attitude as the Lamanites began to fall upon them..." (vs. 21). A thousand and five of them were slain that day. What has touched my heart today is the phrase in the scriptures, "they would lie down and perish, and praised God even in the very act of perishing under the sword" (vs. 23).

This phrase caused me to think of my own life and my own responses to my trials. How do I respond when I am faced with trials and challenges? What do I do? Is my first response to praise God for the opportunity to struggle? Absolutely not. Nor, do I think God would expect this exact same response from me; however, it does teach a powerful perspective on our attitudes despite our trials. I do think that as we struggle we should seek God's hand, we should alter our perspectives to His. And possibly if we do that--we may find ourselves praising God through our trials.

I want my heart to be His. I want to align myself in such a way that I can be called blessed at the last day. In order to do so, I think I need to push the world aside a bit more often and seek Him a bit more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment