Monday, September 18, 2017

Joy

Happiness


I skipped  ahead in my scripture study today, because I wanted to read about the sons of Mosiah meeting up with Alma. I just love that part of scripture. In Alma 27:17 it states, "Now the joy of Ammon was so great even that he was full; yea, he was swallowed up in the joy of his God, even to the exhausting of his strength; and he fell again to the earth." And then in 18 it reads, "Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness."

What does it mean to be a humble seeker of happiness?

I looked up happiness in the topical guide and--of course--the topical guide is  series of scriptures that all deal with happiness; however, in just scanning through the scriptures there were a few phrases that carried heavy meaning for me. For example:

-Psalms 146:5 Happiness is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help.
-Prov. 3:13 Happiness is the man that findeth wisdom.
-Prov. 4:21 Happiness is he that hath mercy on the poor.
-John 13:17 If you know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
-Romans 14:22 Happiness is he that condemneth not himself.
-James 5:11 We count them happy which endrure
-2 Nephi 2:13 If there be no righteousness there be no happiness.
-Mosiah 2:41 Look on the happy state of those that keep the commandments.
-Alma 41:10 Wickedness never was happiness.
-Alma 40:12 Righteous are received into a state of happiness.

Almost every single one of these phrases deals with finding joy and happiness through our Savior Jesus Christ and His Gospel. Sometimes in life we can allow our circumstances that surrounds us to overshadow the gift of that we have been given. I truly believe that as we cling to the gospel, we will find joy--even amidst our trials. At this moment in my life, I am struggling. My vision is clouded by cares and worries of the world; however, I believe that if adjust my focus just a touch...focusing on the things of God, I will find peace and joy amidst my trials. Happiness can be found even in the darkest of moments, but only in and through our Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment