Friday, April 24, 2015

3 Nephi 9

When we "come unto Christ", we are promised eternal life. It seems as if learning how to "come" should be a priority in our lives. In verse 3 Nephi 9:14 it says, "Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me" (3 Nephi 9:14). As I contemplate this scripture, my mind wonders what it means to "come unto Christ". Perhaps a formula for that is found in Moroni when he says, "Yea, come unto Christ and be perfected in him and deny yourselves of all ungodliness. And if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness and love God with all your heart, might, and mind, then is His grace sufficient for you. That by his grace, ye may be perfect in Christ"(Moroni 10:32). So, as we turn our hearts to God, and deny ourselves of things that are not "godly", we are "coming unto Christ". Further explanation of the meaning of "coming unto Christ" can be found in 3 Nephi 9 when it says, "Therefore, whoso repententh and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive..." (22). It further states, "And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost..." (20). 

Coming unto Christ is a process. It is something we must continually strive for and develop in our lives. It is accomplished by living the commandments day by day, reading our scriptures, saying our prayers, and simply placing the things of God above the things of the world. As we do this, our hearts our changed, and we become "like a little child", and we "come unto Christ". I believe it is something we must strive to accomplish in the everyday moments of our lives. I believe that we must be diligent in our testimony of Christ. I believe that is part of enduring to the end to keep Christ in our focus. It is so easy to allow the world to infiltrate our hearts. We must seek him every day, and as we do, we become His.

No comments:

Post a Comment