Monday, September 15, 2014

Alma 5

TESTIMONY


In this chapter Alma is testifying to the people, and proclaiming the word of God. At one point he says, "Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me" (Alma 5: 45-46). Testimony is built upon hard work. We cannot suppose that we will simply know without giving our hearts to prayer, and studying the word of God. We must seek Him to know Him. He waits for us to come, but we must still choose to do so. And if we do, we are promised a testimony and spiritual protection. At the end of the chapter Alma compares us to sheep. He says, "For what shepherd is there among you having many sheep doth not watch over them, that the wolves enter not and devour his flock? And behold, if a wolf enter his flock doth he not drive him out? Yea, and at the last, if he can, he will destroy him. And now I say unto you that the good shepherd doth call after you; and if you will hearken unto his voice he will bring you into his fold, and ye are his sheep; and he commandeth you that ye suffer no ravenous wolf to enter among you, that ye may not be destroyed" (Alma 5:59-60). The Lord desires to protect us, but because we are given our agency, we must choose if we will allow Him to do so. Our protection from spiritual wolves can only be through our Lord. As we seek Him, our testimonies will grow, and we will be brought unto his fold, and no ravenous wolf can or will destroy our testimony, because we will have chosen to turn our hearts, and fortify our testimony in Him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment