Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Alma 8 & 9

ALMA SPEEDILY RETURNS

Alma 8

Alma has gone to the city of Ammoniah to preach the Gospel. When he first arrives, the people are so wicked that they "reviled him, and spit upon him, and caused that he should be cast out of the city" (Alma 8: 13). As Alma was journeying to another city to continue his ministry, an angel came and commanded him to return to the city of Ammoniah. It impresses me that the scriptures say that Alma "speedily" returned (Alma 8:18).

I think of my own life, and I wonder if I am as quick as Alma when it comes to listening to the Lord. I know that my heart is pure, and that I desire to do good continually; however, I know there have been times when I have intended on following through with a prompting, and then I have later forgotten. The word "speedily" reminds me that if I immediately, quickly, instantly, right now... follow through with a prompting, then I will be following Alma's example. This scripture is a lesson to me to put the promptings I receive as first priority in my life.


Alma 9

In Alma's prophesying to the people he shares a thought that touches my heart. I feel that it is almost a formula for our lives. He states, "Therefore, prepare ye the way of the Lord, for the time is at hand that all men shall reap a reward of their works, according to that which they have been--if they have been righteous they shall reap the salvation of their souls, according to the power and deliverance of Jesus Christ; and if they have been evil they shall reap the damnation of their souls, according to the power and captivation of the devil" (Alma 9: 28).

This life is our test. We decide our destiny by the choices we make today and tomorrow. As we choose to turn our lives towards God, we are on the pathway to eternal life; however, if we choose to turn our lives towards Satan, we will reap our rewards of damnation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment