Monday, December 15, 2014

Alma 39

Alma 39:14
Seek not after riches nor the vain things for this world; for behold, you cannot carry them with you.


What a profound statement. It seems so obvious that we should not set our hearts on materialistic items, and yet we do. When all is said and done, the "things" in life will not make us happy nor will they come with us when we pass on to the next life. True happiness will only be found by focusing our hearts on our relationships with God and our fellow men.  

When we were sent here to earth, our Heavenly Father gave us the sweet gift of agency. Because we have been given the ability to choose, it is ultimately up to us to decide our final destination. I have often envisioned what it will be like to stand before my Father in Heaven and be judged for my actions here on this earth. I want to feel, when I meet my Heavenly Father, that I did all that I could while I was here on the earth. A few months ago, I was taught a lesson on this topic. My mother-in-law entrusted my husband and I with her most prized possession—a necklace made from her mother’s wedding ring. She had left it at the cabin, and asked that we deliver it to her. Knowing how important this item was to my mother-in-law, my husband and I discussed ways in keeping it safe, and then followed through with our plan. However, when it came time to deliver the necklace to my mother-in-law, the necklace was no longer where it had been placed for safe keeping. This realization ensued several weeks of searching and praying for the lost heirloom. Throughout this time of prayer and contemplation, my soul longed for a “redo”. My mind was relentless with the “if only’s”, and the “should of’s”.  I couldn’t help but think of what I could have done, or what I should have done. In the midst of my turmoil, I was taught a lesson. One evening while contemplating the lost heirloom, my mind was opened to a new thought. In my mind I saw myself standing in front of my Savior after I had completed my time here on Earth. As I stood, my mind wondered—will I want a “redo”, or will I have done all that I could? In 2 Nephi it states, “Therefore, lift up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves, to choose the way of everlasting life, or the way of everlasting death” (2 Nephi 10:23). President Monson has said that decisions determine our destiny (President Monson, “Dare to Stand Alone”, Ensign, October 2011). 

No comments:

Post a Comment