Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Alma 41 & Luke 1:38

BEHOLD THE HANDMAIDEN of THE LORD

Today I was reading about the resurrection of man. In Alma 40:12 it states, "that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace"(Alma 40:12). In the next verse it states, "that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil--for behold,...they chose evil works rather than good; ...shall be cast into outer darkness" (Alma 41:13). Alma further explains in verse 21 that "there is a space between death and the resurrection of the body, and a state of the soul in happiness or in misery until the time which is appointed of God that the dead come forth, and be reunited, both soul and body, and be brought to stand before God, and be judged according to their works" (Alma 40:21).

This life is the time for us to prepare to meet God. As President Monson has said, our "choices determine our destiny". This isn't to say that the atonement doesn't play a very real part in our salvation. Works alone cannot save us. It is only through the atonement that any of us can be saved; however, Christ's grace cannot be offered to one who denied His grace while in the flesh. Without the atonement, we would all be lost for no unclean thing can enter into God's presence (Alma 40:26).

I want my life to be one where the Lord knows He can call on me at any moment. I am not there. I am still striving to be that person. Just recently I have been assigned some things in my church that require a lot of effort from me. On one hand, I am grateful for the opportunity to serve, on the other hand, I am feeling burdened and overwhelmed. I am fighting the natural man tendencies to think of myself rather than to look to God with faith. I have faith that through God all things are possible. I think of Mary when she was asked to be the mother of our Savior. Her response to the angel has always touched me when she said, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word" (Luke 1:38). I love Mary's example. I love that she didn't falter. She trusted God, and His plan for her. Being pregnant, without a husband, could mean that Joseph would release her of their betrothal, or it could even mean death. Mary didn't seem to concentrate on these factors--she only said, "be it according to thy word".

And so I have a choice. I can choose to be burdened by the requests that are made of me, or I can choose to say as Mary, "behold the handmaid of the Lord". I want to be like Mary. I want to do whatsoever the Lord requires, and I want to do it well. I want my heart to be His heart. I want my desires to be His. I know that I am not what I need to be for I still struggle with an internal battle of selfishness, but because my desires are pure, I believe God can change my unwilling heart. And so I pray, "Heavenly Father please help me to be what thou would have me be. Please change my heart to be like Mary's. Help me to be thy servant while here on this earth. Help me to do all things thou would require with a cheerful heart and a desire to serve. Please take this natural man out of me."

This is my probationary state. This is my time to prepare to meet God, and when I do--I do not want any regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment