Monday, December 15, 2014

Which Way Do You Face by Elder Lynn G. Robbins

Which Way Do You Face

I was touched by this talk, because I think it is easy to forget our purpose. It is easy to fear what others may think of us, and to fall into the temptation of putting their thoughts as a concern in our minds. I like how this talk illustrates how we should care more about what God thinks than what others may think of us. I think this is a great challenge in our every day life. Not because we don't love God, but because we can't see God--we must have a personal relationship with Him in order to put Him first. The natural man tends to want to blend in with our peers. In today's society, we will not blend in when we put the will of God first.

I want to be the kind of person that will always choose God over men. He is my Father. I love Him with all of my heart. I want to live my life in such a way that He will know that I am His disciple. I want to always remember which way I face, and I want others to know as well--not for their acclamation's, but to do the will of my Father, and testify of Him.

Favorite quotes from this talk:


Trying to please others before pleasing God is inverting the first and second great commandment.

Decisions of character are made by remembering the right order of the first and second great commandment.

When people try to save face with men, they can unwittingly lose face with God.

While it certainly takes courage to face perils, the true badge of courage is overcoming the fear of men.

Courage is the form of every virtue at the testing point.

Lowering the Lord's standards to the level of a society's inappropriate behavior is --apostasy.

This talk was so profound for me. I liked how it pointed out examples in the scriptures of those who faced the Savior, and those who did not. Of those who had courage to remain strong, and those who forgot their place, because of the fear of men.

Pilate, King Herod, King Saul, and Aaron were all examples of men who were more concerned with the world's view than with God's view of them. In contrast, Mormon, Nephi, and Captain Moroni were examples of men who were more concerned about God.

I want to be like unto the good examples. I want my Father to be pleased with me, because I love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment