Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Alma 49:30

Last night after dinner, my family and I had a moment of reflection. Amber was telling us an experience she had at school where a boy was totally flabbergasted that she doesn't hit her siblings--not even a little. As she described the scenario, my thoughts turned to our blessings. My heart filled with gratitude for the here and now. We are so blessed. My children love each other. Sure--we have moments of discord, but for the most part--there is love. I wish I could freeze time, because life is so good right now. As I sent the children off to bed, I stopped them for a moment of reflection. We had just finished reading about the Title of Liberty in The Book of Mormon and for a time the people of Nephi were happy because they were keeping the commandments of God. I reminded my children that as long as we were choosing the right, we could remain in this state of happiness towards one another; however, I told them that Satan was very real. I admonished them to hold tight to the Gospel teachings, and to come to us (their parents) if ever there came a time where they found themselves tempted to stray from the path. This experience reminds me of  a scripture in my own scriptures study this morning. I states, "Yea, and there was continual peace among them, and exceedingly great prosperity in the church because of their heed and diligence which they gave unto the word of God...".

We truly are happier as we live by the commandments. That doesn't mean that bad things won't happen to us--it just means that our hearts can have peace, and there is true happiness. When my brother died, it shook the faith of one of my siblings. He questioned how God could allow something like that to happen to someone so young. It was definitely a trial in all our lives; however, as I turned to God, I did find peace. I felt happiness midst the trial. Heavenly Father carried me through the trial. I knew I wasn't alone. On the other hand, those of us who didn't seek our Father in Heaven--walked through the trial alone. Bad things will happen to us, but we can overcome anything as long as we are walking with God, and with God by our side, we will find true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment