Monday, February 2, 2015

Helaman 3

Because the people turn to God in sincerity, the Church grows immensely, and their hearts are full of joy. And through the studying of scriptures, Satan was literally pushed aside.

Helaman 3:26-29 reads:

26. And it came to pass that the work of the Lord did prosper unto the baptizing and uniting to the church of God, many souls, yea, even tens of thousands. 
27. Thus we may see that the Lord is merciful unto all who will, in the sincerity of their hearts, call upon his holy name. 
28. Yea, thus we see that the gate of heaven is open unto all , even to those who will believe on the name of Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God. 
29. Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked--

My mind often works in formulas. In verse 27, it tells us that the Lord is merciful to those who will call on the Lord with sincerity of heart. But, not only that--we learn that the gates of heaven can be open to those who will believe (verse 28). And then finally in verse 29, we learn that through studying the scriptures, we can stay on the course to eternal life. Therefore, through prayer--which brings forth faith--and scriptures study, we will be led to Christ, and not be tempted by Satan.

Another part of this chapter, which speaks to my heart is in verse 35 when it says, "Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility , and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God."

A formula for this scripture could look something like this:
Fast & Pray Often=Humility & Firmer Faith=Joy=Purifying & Sanctification of Heart

And all this came because they yielded their hearts to God.


So, it begins with prayer, and as we turn our hearts through prayer to God, we change our hearts to His will rather than our will, and as we do so, we will have joy and sanctification.


I want to be all that He desires me to be. I want to go where He wants me to go. I want to do what He wants me to do. I truly believe it begins with prayer, and continuous seeking of the things that are most important. I plan on doing this in my life. I plan on giving my all. I know that there are times when I am falling short; however, I truly believe that as I continue in prayer and reading my scriptures--I will be led.

No comments:

Post a Comment