Monday, November 3, 2014

Alma 26

Boast in God; With God ALL things are Possible


"But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things..." (Alma 26:11, 12).

There are so many phrases in these two scriptures that teach me a lesson on how I should be. First, all things good come from God. It is not by our own merits that we accomplish great things. It is only through our Heavenly Father that we are magnified in fulfilling His work on this earth. And we are magnified--He does help us become strong in order to do His work. Second, --somewhat similar to the first thought, but still different--I like how Ammon says "in his strength I can do all things" (verse 12). I want this thought to be solidified into my mind. If I could believe this phrase with all of my heart (which I do, but in the day to day actions I forget), then I know that I could magnify my purposes here on earth. I truly want to be all that God wants me to be. When I die, I want to know that I have accomplished his work on this earth. I do not want to wish I had been more. I know that this can be accomplished as we SEEK Him. And so I pray that I will ask and I will pray for HIM to help me do all things in His name.

Also in chapter 26, Ammon discusses how grateful he is to be saved from his sins, and he explains,  that "none that knoweth these things, save it be the penitent. Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing--unto such is given to know the mysteries of God" (Alma 26:22). This is a formula for me on my journey of becoming: repent, be penitent, exercise faith, do good works, and pray unceasingly. I pray that I may continue on this path, and become all that He wants me to become.

Finally, in ending, Ammon says, "I will give thanks unto my God forever" (Alma 26:37). God gives us all that we have. Eveything. All things good come from God. I need to be more grateful. I am sinning in my lack of gratitude. President Monson has said that to not be grateful is to sin. I need to repent in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment