Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Alma 28

God is Good

After the people of Ammon are settled into the land of Jershon, the Lamanites attack and a great battle ensues. Thousands and thousands of people die. My mind again remembers the example shown by the Nephites of love and forgiveness as they continue to protect and love the people of Ammon--even after their fathers, and brothers have been killed on their behalf.

In addition to this love and ultimate forgiveness, another lesson can be learned from this chapter. It states:

12 While many thousands of others truly mourn for the loss of their kindred, yet they rejoice and exult in the hope, and even know, according to the promises of the Lord, that they are raised to dwell at the right hand of God, in a state of never-ending happiness.
 13 And thus we see how great the inequality of man is because of sin and transgression, and the power of the devil, which comes by the cunning plans which he hath devised to ensnare the hearts of men.
 14 And thus we see the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also of rejoicing—sorrow because of death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life (Alma 28: 12-14).

The phrase "thus we see" is key to our understanding. I think Mormon uses this phrase to point out important information. In this case, he reminds us that how we live will make an impact on our eternities. He also reminds us that Satan is real and conniving, and that we must be diligent in order for us to overcome and also diligent in missionary work in order for others to overcome. Finally, he reminds us of our joy if we are diligent.

I think the beauty of the Gospel is that we do believe in an afterlife. None of us can judge what will happen to another because of the way they lived here. God is the judge. God knows our hearts--he truly knows us. And because He knows our hearts, He is the perfect judge. Christ did die for us. He wants to make us clean. As we repent, and turn our hearts to Him, we will be on the pathway towards our heavenly home. When my brother died, I had several comments about how we didn't know how God would judge. People were assuming that his life would leave me to question his eternities, and in an effort to offer me comfort, they caused me to question. I have found great peace in knowing that God is our judge--no one else. I feel comforted in His love for us, and His desire for us to all return. That doesn't mean that I believe we can sin and expect God to save us, but I do believe that because He knows us individually--He is the perfect judge. And knowing this--gives me great peace for me and my brother. My brother may not have been the "cleanest" person here on earth, but neither am I. His sins may have been more "visible" to others than mine are to others, but the fact still remains that we both struggle with sin. This is the reason for the atonement. None of us are perfect. Not one. Christ's atonement makes it possible for ALL of us to return, and thankfully I don't have to be the judge. But I do need to believe in Christ, I do need to repent, I do need to turn my heart to Him, and I need to do my best to continue to use the atonement in my life on a daily basis. If I am truly doing my best to seek my Heavenly Father, then--God knows my heart. Who else can judge my heart---or my brother's heart, but God?

I love the scripture in Nephi that says, "Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved. Wherefore, may God raise you from death by the power of the resurrection, and also from everlasting death by the power of the atonement, that ye may be received into the eternal kingdom of God, that ye may praise him through grace divine. Amen" (2 Nephi 10: 23-25).

And yet another scripture in John states, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).

We do need to choose God's pathway. Our choices do make a difference. However, let us not forget that God is good, and He knows our hearts. And let us remember that our Savior died for me and for you. The atonement is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment