Friday, November 7, 2014

The Reason For Our Hope ~ President Boyd K. Packer

THE REASON FOR OUR HOPE
Boyd K. Packer

 
"We preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins" (2 Nephi 25:26).
 
"I am the way, the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me" (John 14:6).
 
"Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold I am Jesus Christ....In me shall all mankind have life and that eternally even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters" (Ether 3:14).
 
Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we are all redeemed from the Fall of man, which occurred when Adam and Eve partook of the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden, as stated in 1 Corinthians: "For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive" (1 Corinthians 15:22).  ~Boyd K. Packer
 
It is expedient that an atonement should be made..., or else all mankind must unavoidably perish; yea, all are hardened; yea, all are fallen and are lost, and must perish except it be through the atonement...and infinite and eternal sacrifice" (Alma 34:9-10).
 
"The Savior wrought the atonement, which provides a way for us to become clean. Jesus Christ is the resurrected Christ. We worship and recognize Him for the pain He suffered for us collectively and for the pain He endured for each of us individually, both in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross. He bore all with great humility and with eternal understanding of His divine role and purpose. Those who will repent and forsake sin will find that His merciful arm is outstretched still...The result of His sacrifice is to free us from the effects of sin, that all may have guilt erased and feel hope. Had He not accomplished the atonement, there would be no redemption" ~Boyd K. Packer
 
I have a testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I cannot put into words how I feel about Him. I need Him every day. I feel Him with me as I seek Him. He strengthens me. He loves me. I am not perfect, but through Him I allowed an opportunity at refining my weaknesses. Despite my struggles, He still loves me. He wants me to continue. I am grateful to know that through the atonement, I can start each day with a clean slate. Without this knowledge, I think life would lose its meaning. It would be easy to want to quit--for what purpose would we have. Through Christ, I have the hope of returning to my heavenly home. There is a purpose in life. I'm not here simply to satisfy curiosity, but rather to do my Father's will. Through Christ, I can continue on the pathway set by my Father, and I can continue to become all that my Father expects. I cannot do this alone--I need Jesus Christ.
 
My heart swells with thanksgiving toward my Savior. I am amazed at His love. I am astounded at the gift of the atonement. I am humble. Someday I hope to kneel at his feet and proclaim my everlasting gratitude. When I think of my gratitude, I imagine myself embracing my Savior, crying on his shoulder--my heart would be full of love, awe, gratitude, reverence, and joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment