Monday, October 27, 2014

Alma 19 & 21

Changed Hearts = No More Desire to Sin

Alma 19

After the household of Lamoni had heard the Gospel, and repented of their sins, the scriptures say, "their hearts had been changed; that they had no more desire to do evil." I think this is our goal; to have no desire to sin.

The other night at the dinner table, my kids were asking me about temptations, and repentance. I told them that as they are obedient to God's commandments, their hearts will change and they will not be tempted by the things that seem to tempt them now. I explained that obedience keeps our hearts in line with the Gospel. Of course we will all have struggles, and we will need to be continually repenting; however, as our hearts change, our desires change as well.

I feel this is a continual process. There are moments in my life where I feel much like the statement written in Alma--"having no more desire to sin", and all though that is my continual desire, I am learning that there are times when I am not even tempted, and other times when I am. It reminds me to continually be seeking after the things of God. It reminds me that my focus needs to be set on Him--all of the time.

Continue in Faith

Alma 21

When Ammon delivered his brethren from prison, they had suffered greatly. What impresses me most is what they did as soon as they were released. The scriptures say, "And they went forth withersoever they were led by the Spirit of the Lord, preaching the word of God in every synagogue of the Amalekites, or in every assembly of the Lamanites where they could be admitted." 

I love that they were patient in their afflictions. I love that they continued even though they had been beaten and naked. I love that they took no thought for themselves, but rather of God. I love that they knew what mattered most. I am struck by their conviction, their faith, their hearts, their desire to do the Lord's will. I want to be like that.

In the beginning, Aaron and his brethren didn't have much success. As just noted, they were cast into prison, they were beaten, and when Ammon found them--they were naked. As these men pushed forward, as they were patient in their trial, and they continued on God's path, they scriptures also say that the "Lord began to bless them, insomuch they brought many to the knowledge of the truth..." Sometimes in life, we may feel like we are doing all that we can to do what is right, and it may feel as if nothing seems to be going right. We may wonder why we are not being blessed when we are doing everything we should be doing. I love this example in the scriptures, because it demonstrates that sometimes those "blessings" do not always come quickly. Sometimes we are given the opportunity to have a "trial of our faith". We are blessed to endure, and as we endure--we are molded into better people. If we can remain faithful, our hearts become more refined. If we remain faithful, we become better. I truly believe the Lord is there waiting to give us the blessings we desire. I believe that He is watching and I believe that He is cheering us on. I can hear Him in my mind saying, "Just a little longer...hold on, don't give up". I believe that as we do HOLD ON, and as we refuse to give into the temptation of giving up--the Lord will bless us...after the trial of our faith--He will bless us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment