Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Amulek's Decision

AMULEK FOLLOWS GOD's WILL

Amulek is an example to me in The Book of Mormon. In Alma 10:11 we find that Amulek, in relating the ministerings of an angel to him regarding Alma, declares: "For behold, he hath blessed mine house, he hath blessed me, and my women, and my children, and my father and my kinsfolk; yea, even all my kindred hath he blessed, and the blessing of the Lord hath rested upon us according to the words which he spake." 

Then, in chapter 15 we find that after Amulek is rejected by the very people in whom Alma blessed. The scriptures state,  "Amulek, having forsaken all his gold, and silver, and his precious things, which were in the land of Ammonihah, for the word of God, he being rejected by those who were once his friends and also by his father and his kindred." (Alma 15:16, 18)

As I put myself in Amulek's shoes, I cannot imagine the turmoil his soul must have gone through. He was the ultimate example of loving God more than man. After having been converted, his heart turned to God, and he was willing to give up everything in order to serve him. But "everything" was more than just gold and silver--"everything" also included his family. I think of my own family. I think of how much I love them, and my heart breaks for Amulek as I realize the magnitude of his decision. And although my heart breaks, I am also strengthened in my determination to put the things of God first, to do the will of the Lord over my own will, and to live a righteous life. 

This process of purifying my heart isn't something I can do alone. I am grateful to the scriptures for teaching me the pathway I should go. I pray that I will continue to be guided. I pray that Heavenly Father will help me to seek His will over my own. I think this is a huge challenge of my mortal experience--placing God's will above my own. I never intend on placing my will above God's. My heart desires to always do his will. However, as I have looked back on my life, I know there have been prideful moments in which I followed my own will. Thankfully, these moments haven't been moments of open rebellion against God for I didn't realize at the time what I was doing; however, as I grow in my understanding, I now see my prideful moments in my life. This life is a constant battle. A battle against Satan. I hope that I can follow the example of Amulek. It is the desire of my heart to always put the will of God first in my life--to purify my heart in Him, to be all that He REQUIRES.

No comments:

Post a Comment