Monday, October 13, 2014

Teaching with the Spirit

With the Lord All Things are Possible

In chapter 17 of Alma, it speaks of what it takes to be a good missionary, or it rather speaks of what the sons of Mosiah did to have success in their missionary work. We have been counseled to be missionaries within our own communities. We do not have to be serving a full-time mission to be a missionary. Although the focus of this chapter is on missionary work, the thought that continued to present itself in my mind was that this chapter is a formula not only for missionary work, but also for anyone serving the Lord. It could be direction for teaching our children, teaching the youth, speaking, or whatever it is that we are called to do.

I like in Alma 17:2 it states, "they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God." And then in verse 3 it states, "they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught they taught with the power and authority of God." So, as we study our scriptures, pray, and fast, the Lord blesses us with His spirit. I seek this blessing--not only for my church calling, but also for my family. I need to have the spirit with me in order to help my children through this life. I know that I cannot, nor can my family, become what the Lord intends of us--unless we are led by His spirit.

These scriptures remind me of a saying that I have been taught from my youth--"With the Lord, all Things are Possible!" When Jesus was talking to his disciples, they were desirous to know how they could possibly be saved. In Gospel of Mark it states, "But Jesus answered, 'With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible."  [See Matthew 19:16–26; see also the Joseph Smith Translation in Matthew 19:26, footnote a, and Mark 10:27, footnote a.]

I believe this to be true in all things. If we have God as our guide, we will surely succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment