Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Alma 20

"Don't Ever Let a Problem to Be Solved Become More Important than a Person to Be Loved." 
~President Monson

Lamoni's father's heart begins to change when he realizes the love Ammon has for his son. The scriptures say, "And when he saw that Ammon had no desire to destroy him, and when he also saw the great love he had for his son Lamoni, he was astonished exceedingly, and said: Because this is all that thou has desired...thou and thy brethren may come unto me, in my kingdom; for I shall greatly desire to see thee" (Alma 20: 26-27).

To show love and concern for someone seems like a simple thing. In Ammon's case, he truly didn't think of himself. He loved Lamoni more than he loved himself. He was offered half the kingdom, and yet his only concern was for Lamoni's well-being. If Ammon had his hearts set on riches, I am sure this story would have had a different ending. Ammon's heart was turned to God--he was able to love because he chose daily to follow God's plan. President Monson has said, Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved" (Joy in the Journey, President Monson, October 2008).

I think of this quote often. I need to remind myself of it even more than I think about it. There are so many times in my life when I find myself struggling with a problem, that I focus on the problem rather than loving the person involved. I think this is true for all of my kids. Whenever they have struggles, I find my mind consumed with solving their problems. I sometimes forget that the greatest remedy is love. I may not be able to take away all of their trials, I may not be able to solve anything for them, but I know I can love them. When we focus on the problem more than what we do have, I find myself beaten. Love truly is a remedy for many things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment